Monday, June 19, 2006

Sick, Out, then Mavs game

Yes, yes, I stayed in on a Friday. I think this is only the second time I have stayed in on a weekend since moving to New York. Before you begin to think lowly of me, allow me to explain myself:

Last you heard Mikey and I went to a show Tues. My throat hurt Wed so I stayed in. Thurs night I went with Courtney and her friend Liz (who is here for the summer) to watch the Mavs game at Park Avenue Country Club, where allegedly there are cute preppy boys. There were cute boys, but I had on glasses and no make up so I was being anti-social. I had a beer (only one) because my throat still wasn't up to par. A BEER. As in ONE. I wake up Friday feeling like death. My throat is killing me, I am sure I have strep throat on top of pink eye. But I have an eye doctor appt early (11:30) and he tells me the pink eye is gone (!) but that I should refrain from contacts until Mon to be safe. Riiight. I then have a meeting with a recruiter for some job and my throat was on fire the whole time. I called my normal doctor to see if he would just fax a perscription over to the drug store for me, but he wasn't calling back. It was time for me to take matters into my own hands.

While walking down 3rd Ave on the phone with Frances, I randomly decide to walk to my doctor's office. I have no plan. I get there and tell the receptionist that I really need to "ask the dr a quick question." For some reason this works, and after waiting only about 10 min they let me skip ahead of the other patients (who were probably there with actual appointments) and saw my dr. I asked him if he would just write me a perscription for some antibiotics, but he said he had to examine me. I explained my joblessness and subsequent loss of health insurance, and he said he would charge me $30 to look at me and give me some samples. I bargained him down to $25. I think I got confused and thought I was in Chinatown. He IS Asian. Just kidding.

Done and done, he sent me on my way with my drugs. Badass.

After a nap I felt a little better but decided that the drinking gods were against me. I wasn't suppossed to be in contacts yet, I still had a semi-sore throat, plus no one was even doing anything that cool. I sucked it up, stayed in and watched some of my Footballers Wive$ Season 2 dvd.

I woke up Sat feeling amazing. I made an executive decision that I was ready to wear contacts. I hit the gym (I had slacked and only gone 2x all week) then got a mani-pedi with Court before going to babysit from 6-10. After making an easy $50, I came back here and got ready, then Court and I headed to 230, the rooftop bar. Other people are starting to know about this bar, and that angers me. The line was ridic. A few people we had talked to earlier about plans were MIA so we had nothing better to do but wait in line-which I hate doing, and normally refuse to do. Luckily, I had some rum in my purse so I entertained myself in line with that. Sheri and Merna came and cut the line once we were near the front. At the bar, it was fun but it took us a while to find some guys to talk to. First we made up fake names and stories to some foreign guys, which is always fun. We then met some pretty normal guys. Mine was OK. He told me I reminded him of LC from The Hills/Laguna and I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. Anyway, he was borderline boring but I sucked it up and got drinks. Around 3.30 Court wants to leave, I think she mentioned drunk eating. Those are usually the magic words. I say bye to random boy and make a quick escape. We then order 300 pounds of Ziggiz and eat it all. We NEVER eat it all. I really need to take their # out of my cell phone.

Today was a lot of shopping, then Court, Liz and I literally sat in a circle at Bryant Park and read. When I was in middle/high school and made fun of people, I would say, "What do they do for fun, sit in a circle and read?" I got what was coming to me. I have blossomed into a full blown loser. It was nice, though; afterwards we came back here to get ready to drink some more. Validation. Hah. Court, Liz and I went back to Park Ave CC for the Mavs game, and immediatly this guy started talking to us. He was dorky but seemed normal/nice and was in town visiting his sister. After like 10 min the bartender tells us that some other guys want to buy us drinks. They are wasted and foreign so we decline, b/c it is not worth having to deal w/them. Waitress tells us they insist, so we take 'em. Dorky boy then wants to buy us a round, and the waitress tells him, "These are from my friends at the end of the bar, you can get the next ones." Apparently he was unaware of the LINE. Hah.

We also talked to some guy and his boss (who the whole time we thought was his dad) and the boy knew a lot about MTV reality shows. Naturally he and I get along, and I enlighten him with facts such as: LC and Jason now live together and that LC's sister is the next main character on Laguna. I am knowledgeable about important things. Also, his dad was hot in that Richard Gere way (but smaller, I presume). Grey hair but those dark, squinty eyes. When they left I called him a DILF. I am copyrighting that term so don't steal it.

So dorky boy gets a few drinks in him and then becomes dorky annoying boy. DAB. DAB talks too much. DAB makes lame comments. Court is really into the game, much more than Liz (who initally though the Mavs played baseball) and I. She gets away with ignoring DAB, who was sitting next to her. He then decides to stretch--like twisting and doing arm rolls, I kid you not--and announces he is tired of sitting, then proceeds to come and stand next to me. Talks and talks. I utter one word comments and laugh when necessary, but keep eye contact with the flat screens the whole time. I literally spoke the least amount I could without ignoring DAB. Hint much? I went to the bathroom to escape at the next commercial break and thank God DAB is back to sitting. I now know he is honed in on me (where are my glasses when I need them?) and purposely don't look at him. When the game went into overtime, I went to the bathroom again to find Court in my chair, and DAB is in the restroom. I beg her to get up, she says I can sit in her chair by DAB. I am like, NOOOOOOOOO. I am so frustrated with DAB that I think I could have killed him if I had to sit next to him. It was OK for her to ignore him, she was the true fan in a Mavs JERESY for God's sake! I threaten to kick her ass when I see DAB coming, she calls me crazy but then moves. Close one. I ignore DAB's utterly ridiculous comments and don't look at him at all. When the game ends I use Court as a sheild so he can't look at me and make conversation. She moves back, I move back. Or I turn to Liz and pretend to be really intrigued by the fact that the waitress gave her a pencil to write with on her credit card bill. I knew he was going to try and get my #. I was right. He gave me a napkin with his info (thankfully he was from LA) and told me to call when I come to visit in Sept. I say OK, thanks. Doo doo doo. He grabs a napkin and asks for my info. I know I am a horrible liar, and do the thing you aren't suppossed to do and go on and on...but I attempt to lie anyway. I tell him I am seeing someone, and I don't give my # out anymore. B/c I used to, especially when drunk, and random people would call and my fake boyfriend gets upset so I have to be good now and not give it out. And because I am sober, especially. (I told you, I am a HORRIBLE liar.) Also I can't look him in the face for like, the rest of the time. Please don't ever ask me to lie for you in court. You are Fucked if you do.

So the Mavs lost but it was a nice night out with the girls minus DAB. There were some cuteish boys there but we couldn't escape DAB after his sister left him with us. Moral: free drinks sometimes aren't worth it. (Gasp.) Especially when you have to talk to the person for 3 hours...and they are a DAB to the max.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home